I’m not really sure what this rice dish is called but I can tell you that it’s really tasty. This is a replica of the rice bowls at Circus Coffee House on the Danforth (near Woodbine – I highly recommend checking it out if you’re in the neighbourhood. It just happens to be next to Carter’s ice cream shop which works out nicely!). At Circus, the rice bowl is made with California short grain rice, shredded veggies with tofu and your choice of homemade deliciousness – aka hummus, baba ganoush or guacamole. How easy is that to replicate at home?
Ingredients (makes 3-4 large servings):
- Rice (I used PC’s Blue Menu brown rice with barley and spelt because I couldn’t find California short grain rice)
- 1 Carrot and 1 Beet, shredded
- cherry tomatoes
- I package firm or extra firm tofu (I’ve used roast chicken as well!)
- teriyaki sauce for tofu
- Choice of dip: hummus, baba ganoush or guacamole
1. If using tofu, prepare tofu ahead of time by pressing and marinating in the teriyaki sauce. Check out directions on delish.com for how to cook tofu properly. This was VERY helpful!
2. Wash, peel and shred the carrot and beet.
3. Boil rice as per directions on package.
4. Pan fry the tofu until brown and crispy.
5. Scoop cooked rice into a large bowl or onto a plate. Top with shredded veg, cherry tomatoes, tofu and a generous portion of hummus (or other tasty dip).
This dish is easy to make, easy to change up and healthy to boot. Enjoy!