This is one of the best salads that I’ve had in awhile. I know what you’re thinking, “Brussels sprouts? Yuck!” I even debated putting “Brussels sprouts” in the title in case that frightens people off. But honestly this is such an easy and tasty way of eating them. Brussels sprouts get a bad rap because they are usually over cooked and/or boiled. Here they’re just chopped up, thrown in raw and they really give you something to chew on.
Anyways, a friend gave me the recipe. I adapted it a bit because I didn’t have everything that the original called for or I was just too lazy. You can find the original at Dinner with Julie.
What you need:
For the salad (serves 4-6)
- Kale (one bunch)
- Brussels sprouts (6-10)
- Sunflower seeds or almonds, or your nut of choice
- Cheese (original recipe called for parmesan but I only had old cheddar kicking around)
- Optional: some red or purple onion
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of grainy mustard
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 small clove of garlic, grated (I think this is optional. In my laziness, I left this out and it still tasted great!)
- salt and pepper
What you do:
1. Chop the kale, removing the stalks
2. Cut the Brussels sprouts into slivers
3. Mix the dressing ingredients well in a small cup or jar and toss with the kale, Brussels sprouts, nuts/seeds and onion in a large salad bowl.
4. Top with cheese and enjoy!
This makes for a really crunchy, chewy salad that’s satisfying to eat. I told my husband that he better get used to it because it’s going to be my go to for dinner parties. And to my friend that’s coming over for a BBQ this weekend, if you’re reading this…I hope you like kale and Brussels sprouts! 🙂