I’m not sure why I never thought to do this before because it is so simple and delicious. I was having friends over for a BBQ the other day and I just didn’t feel like making burgers. I confess that my husband and I have had our share of chicken burgers this summer. And as much as we love to BBQ it can be easy to fall into the same old things over and over.
So after a quick look on Pinterest for an idea, there it was (courtesy of Martha Stewart of course), grilled cheese on the BBQ!
I decided to make two different kinds. One with bacon, cheese and tomato, the other with bacon, cheese and apple.
- tomato and/or apple
- butter or margarine
- whatever you like in your grilled cheese
(basically you prepare your grilled cheese in the same way as if you were cooking it on a pan but you put it on the BBQ)
1. Preheat the grill and pre cook the bacon.
2. Butter both sides of the bread.
3. Put down a layer of cheese, then tomato or apple, add bacon and top off with more cheese.
5. After the cheese starts to get melty (that’s a technical culinary term), put the top on and flip them. Use two spatulas for flipping – one to hold the top in place, one to do the actual flipping.
6. Grill to your liking and then enjoy!
My favourite was the apple, although I think some caramelized onions would make it even better. My husband preferred the one with the tomato. Maybe next time I’ll add some artichokes to that one, or spread on some olive tapenade. The possibilities are almost endless. And it was a welcome change from our usual BBQ fare.
But let’s face it…as long as it has bacon on it, neither one of us are complaining. 🙂